Back to the index page  
I assure you, Sound Borb does not have a memory leak...

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Sound Borb Forum Index » Sound Borb Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tgersic
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: I assure you, Sound Borb does not have a memory leak... Reply with quote
This topic has been brought up a few times now, so I thought I'd address it here:

Yes, Sound Borb looks like it's using a lot of RAM. However, it is not really using all that much memory, the Windows Task Manager is just not very good at reporting actual RAM usage. More info here:

http://www.garagegames.com/blogs/4517/11311
Quote:
The Windows OS employs something like a memory cache for each actively running program. This cache may grow as the needs of a particular program require using magical algorithms Microsoft developers have produced for determining the optimal size for that program. For instance a program over the course of it's life time may require 20 megs of memory but occasionally needs to load data requiring allocations of up to 10 additional megs which is released seconds after it is loaded and processed. The Windows OS may determine then, that the memory cache for this program must increase from the base 20 megs to 25 megs instead. Looking at the Windows Task Manager then, you may see that this program is now using 25 megs of memory, even though currently, it may only be using 20 megs.

That is, the Windows Task Manager is reporting the memory cache allotment and not the memory allocated and used by the program. This is not the same as a memory leak. The program has little to no control over the memory cache allotment the OS has given it.

Basically, Sound Borb looks like it is using a fair amount of memory when loading a new Borb, but as it's loading, it's freeing the majority of it. Windows Task Manager doesn't immediately show that the memory has been freed, so it looks like Sound Borb is using a ton of memory, even though it's not. If you minimize Sound Borb, Task Manager will refresh, and show the actual memory usage, which is generally something on the order of 2 to 3 MB.

Tom
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Sound Borb Forum Index » Sound Borb Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: