Back to the index page  
Used all my ram!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Sound Borb Forum Index » Sound Borb Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shagger1

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 8:24 am    Post subject: Used all my ram! Reply with quote
Hi- thanks for the proggie it is neat but when using it it uses all my ram-I have XP and 512mb of ram and while playing the ram drops to less than 10mb of available,just wondering why and or if anyone else has this issue??
tgersic
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's not really using all of your RAM, the Windows Task Manager is just not very good at reporting actual RAM usage. More info here:

http://www.garagegames.com/blogs/4517/11311

Basically, Sound Borb looks like it is using a fair amount of memory when loading a new Borb, but as it's loading, it's freeing the majority of it. Windows Task Manager doesn't immediately show that the memory has been freed, so it looks like Sound Borb is using a ton of memory, even though it's not. If you minimize Sound Borb, Task Manager will refresh, and show the actual memory usage, which is generally something on the order of 2 to 3 MB.
shagger1

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK- but everything was running so slow I tried to close soudborb and it was not responding-then I had to turn off the computer via the button on the machine,I am using a toolbar that monitors ram useage and it showed 5 megs of ram left then nothing would work!
tgersic
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't think this has anything to do with RAM usage, regardless of what the toolbar says. I'm not doing anything that should be able to fill up 512MB of RAM, and especially not 512MB of RAM plus however much swap space you have allocated in Windows. Like I said, RAM monitoring in Windows is really unreliable. Just because it said you only have 5MB left doesn't mean much of anything. My guess is that you just have to be patient for the borb to finish loading. Depending on the size of the borb, and the speed of your computer, it can probably take anywhere from 3 to 30 seconds...though I don't think I've had any take more than 10 seconds on my system.

While a borb is loading, Sound Borb does become somewhat unresponsive to user input (i.e. closing or minimizing) because I haven't split the decoding of the .ogg files into a separate thread from the GUI. However, you can still see the loading progress in the Status box, and it shouldn't really affect any of your other programs that may be running. When the borb finishes loading, you should be able to quit Sound Borb normally.
BloodLust

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I got Xp sp2 and between my task manager and memturbo it seems to agree that only 20mb of my memory is being used once the ocean ambience is running.
tgersic
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you for confirming this.

Tom
BloodLust

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think I found out what the problem is.

It looks like Sound Borb Does Not properly free the previous ambiance sound files when selecting a new ambiance and even when u go back to the same ambiance set.

So whenever you choose a new ambiance SB will just use up more ram every time.

Current solution is just restart SB whenever you goto a new Ambiance sound Set.
tgersic
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
BloodLust wrote:

It looks like Sound Borb Does Not properly free the previous ambiance sound files when selecting a new ambiance and even when u go back to the same ambiance set.

I assure you it does free the previous ambience. As I've said before, in order to update the memory usage shown by Windows Task Manager (or other tools that grab the same information from Windows), you have to minimize the application. Otherwise, the amount of memory shown to be in use by Windows Task Manager doesn't reflect memory that has already been freed. If you load a borb, and minimize Sound Borb, you'll see the memory usage drop. If you load another borb, and minimize Sound Borb again, you'll see the memory usage drop back down to the same level.

Again, there is no problem.
BloodLust

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have tried minimizing it and in window taskmanager it does show the memory being freed however my memturbo (which I've always been more inclined to believe as the documentation states that it also includes the cache overview and have seen more accurate readins from it b4) shows the memory as being used but once i close the application it immediately shows the memory being freed.

Please note that this really doesn't bother me, I just wanna help somehow in maybe resolving some bugs (if they exist).

Maybe a option to have sounds not load into memory might work out better for systems with lower amounts of ram. Although I would never use it as it will be a hard drive destroyer Smile
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Sound Borb Forum Index » Sound Borb Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: