Back to the index page  
Very nice!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Sound Borb Forum Index » Sound Borb Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noctrex

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Very nice! Reply with quote
I recently discovered this very nice application, and been using it all the time at my office.

[/dream mode on]
Is there any remote chance of this program being ported to linux or to make it open-source?
It would be nice if a group of developers would bring this small jewel to shine with more features/options.
[/dream mode off]

anyway, good work and keep it up!
tgersic
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks, glad you like it. I think SB will probably work on Linux under Wine, but I haven't tried it. As for doing a direct port, I haven't really thought much about it. I'd probably do OSX first, but from that point, Linux wouldn't be too hard.

As for opening up the source, it depends. I've opened up the source of other programs, and been somewhat disappointed by the results. I think for the time being, if there are developers who are interested in working on SB, have clear goals, and can demonstrate their proficiency with C++ and audio programming, I would potentially be willing to share the source with them. If a large enough team of regularly-contributing developers emerged, and it seemed like opening up the source would spur development further, I would consider releasing the source under the GPL or a similar license.

Thanks,
Tom
noctrex

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:25 am    Post subject: Running SB in Linux Reply with quote
Just tried to run SB from Ubuntu 7.10 under the default wine configuration, but it seems it doesn't like the paths,

can't open file 'data/descriptor.lst' (error 3: path not found)
Can't load image from file 'images/stopbutton.jpg': file does not exist.
Can't load image from file 'images/aetmos.jpg': file does not exist.
Can't load image from file 'images/playbutton.jpg': file does not exist.
Can't load image from file './images/ocean_image.jpg': file does not exist.
tgersic
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here's a screenshot of it running on my Ubuntu machine.

The images seem to load okay...are you sure you maintained the directory structure when you extracted the .zip archive?

I don't have speakers plugged into my Ubuntu machine, so I haven't tested that. I apparently need to configure Wine to use audio, though, according to the error message.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Sound Borb Forum Index » Sound Borb Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: